pictured above is the Pearl Alley market, Tuesdays and Fridays 10:30am - 2pm, details below.
Well, now that the leaves are coming out on the trees, and I've heard the first rumblings of the coming morel mushroom harvest, it's time to start planning where we'll all be buying our produce in the coming months. This year, I have decided to augment my farmer's marketing with a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). I will pay a farmer now for 27 weeks of produce, beginning in mid-May. The only drawback is I have to pick up my box from the farmer's market early in the morning so I can examine it to determine the rest of my market-day shopping. Don't want to end up with any more zucchini than absolutely necessary (although it is one of my favorite vegetables)!
Here's a list of local farmer's markets - I haven't been to all of them, but have been to most. I took the list from The Greater Columbus Foodshed Project website, hope they don't mind!: Happy Shopping!
- Bexley Farmers' Market, Bexley City Hall, 2242 E. Main St. Open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays July through October.
- Circle S Farms, 9015 London-Groveport Rd., Grove City. Open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays June through September. 614-878-7980 or visit www.circlesfarm.com.
- Clintonville Farmers Market, 3559 High Street, Columbus, Ohio. Open Saturday May 22 through September 25, 2004.
- Grove City Area Chamber of Commerce Farmers' Market, in town center (Broadway and Park), Grove City. Open from 8 a.m. to noon Saturdays July 5 through Sept. 6.
- Hilltop Farmers' Market, 2300 W. Broad St. at Hilltop Community Development Corp. Open from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursdays from July through September.
- Lancaster's Downtown Farmers' Market, Job & Family Services Building at Main and Rt. 33 in Lancaster. Open from 7:30 a.m. to noon Saturdays and from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays from May through October. 740-756-7927.
- North Market, 59 Spruce St., Columbus. Open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays from May through December (limited produce until late June). 614-463-9664.
- Pearl Alley Farmers' Market, between Lynn and Broad streets in Pearl Alley Downtown. Open from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays and Fridays from May through October.
- Schacht Farms, 5650 Shannon Rd., Canal Winchester. Open from 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays from April through October. (longer hours beginning in July). 614-833-1932.
- Smith Farm Market, 3341 Winchester Pike, Columbus. Open year-round from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sundays. 614-235-2014.
- Smith Farm Market 2, Royal Plaza Shopping Center, 83 N. Stygler Rd., Gahanna. Open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays from June through October. 614-235-2014.
- Upper Arlington Farmers' Market, Upper Arlington Mallway, 2100 Arlington Ave. Open from 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesdays from July through October.
- Worthington Farmers' Market, downtown business section, south of Rt. 23 and Rt. 161 on High Street. Open from 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays from May through October. 614-891-6293.