It's technically autumn. An event which was celebrated in Central Ohio with record-tying high temperatures. Ah well, we have nothing if not predictably unpredictable weather. As always, if you have an event to add, please leave it in the comments or send me an email.
- Don't forget that tonight is the Organic Chef Showdown at Wild Oats. Wilds Oats' Chef Ugur will challenge Latitude 41's Tony Miller to a competition featuring locally grown, organic produce. 6-8pm, tickets are $25, click for more details.
- The Waxen Center has a video exhibit to commemorate the second anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, "Artists Respond to Hurricane Katrina." Numerous artists have prepared videos documenting the lives of those affected by the devastation of the Gulf Coast. In other Wex news, you can see the humorous stylings of William Wegman's Weimereiners (and other subjects) through the end of the year in Funney/Strange, and this weekend in film, you can see The Gospel According to Harry tonight at 7pm (which stars a pre-famous Viggo Mortensen) and, Thursday through Saturday, a restored Killer of Sheep.
- Thursday, (78 Parsons Ave, Downtown/Old Town East), the Chop Chop gallery will show the animated stylings of Brent Green, featuring the music of Moviola and Sin Ropas (music described as "dark & wobbly). I'm a huge animation fan, so I'm a little sad that I have to work; this event sounds super cool.
- For those of you already in the mood for Halloween (and judging from all of the decorations already up in my neighborhood, that's a lot of you), Shadowbox is showing "Haunted House Party" until November 10th. One of these days, I'll actually make it to a Shadowbox show.
- This week at Sur la Table, cooking classes will be: Late Summer Lunch in Provence with Martin Moran (9/28); Pasta Workshop with Craig Lomonico (9/30, 2pm); Charcuterie with Tom Johnson (10/2); Football Buffet with Dena Logan (10/3); and Cooking Basics 2, Seasoning & Flavoring with Sheri Lisak (10/4). All classes are $65 and take place at 6:30pm, unless otherwise noted. Click through to their calender for more information.
- And, this week at Whole Foods, you can learn Entertaining in Mediterranean Style with Shelley Owem (Thurs, 9/27 $25) and Choosing Foods to Boost Energy with Dr. Pam Popper (Monday, October 1st; free but registration is required). Click link above for more information.
- All you crafty folks (and I know you're out there) might be interested in taking a trip to see the exhibition of fiber artists at the Ohio Craft Museum (1665 W. 5th Ave in Grandview). Click through to their website for more information.
- It might be a bit of a drive, but Denision will display Chikanobu: Modernity and Nostalgia in Japanese Prints through October 28th. These block prints showcase Japanese life during the Meiji period. More info.